Beginning to have trouble with native language

I’ve been learning German quite intensively for the past few months (taking courses) and also speak + write in German as much as I can outside of class with my partner (as he is German). I have multiple German classes per week and only one non-German class so I’ve been getting much less exposure to English lately.

I’ve noticed that I’m starting to have problems with my English now and I’m wondering if this is normal or if anybody else has experienced this? I am more and more frequently accidentally writing in German when having conversations in English, and find that I’m starting to phrase things oddly in English when speaking or writing! I know I’m not just becoming more aware of issues with my English that I was blind to before because I have previously taken English courses in college and my grades were excellent. This is a more recent development that is aligned with my progression in German.

I feel like my writing has gotten extremely choppy and unpleasant to read. My sentence structure when speaking English is starting to reflect that of German! I’m having trouble recalling words sometimes as well. Has anybody else experienced anything like this? Does it get better over time or worse? I suspect it’s because I’m focusing so hard on learning German that it’s on my mind 24/7, but that maybe this problem will go away when German becomes more second-nature to me and I have to think about it less.

submitted by /u/seaweads
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/cbMRKPn
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments