Learning Spanish, but my basic level French is getting in the way

Native English speaker here. I took French in high school and have traveled to France in my twenties. I speak a very basic level of tourist French, but have had very little to do with French in decades. Now I am trying to learn Spanish for a summer trip and my brain keeps going to French. I have to make a serious effort with pronunciation etc. The cognates are a nightmare. For example, "perdon" comes out of my mouth in a French accent!! Seems like languages learned when younger just stay stuck in your head somewhere. Is this common? It's hard enough learning a new language in your fifties without this extra baggage. Any ideas how to get around it? Thanks!

submitted by /u/momprof99
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/KXJMAYc
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments