Is it true that most Europeans are bilingual ?

I have encountered this claim quite often, but as a native French speaker of North African descent who can speak both French and Arabic fluently, I personally do not believe it to be true, at least not in my locality.

The few individuals I have met who could speak two or more languages were either foreigners or had foreign backgrounds, and most people only speak French

In my opinion, the average level of English proficiency is around B1/A2, which is certainly not considered fluent.

I have been to Germany and still found it challenging to ask for directions from a random German, and I believe this difficulty is present in other places as well

So where does this myth come from?

submitted by /u/Maud2089
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/G4Wjnx1
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments