Half-Swedish, should I learn it?

My father is from Sweden and my mother is from Ireland. Unfortunately my father left me and my mother before I was even born and we haven't seen him in years. I grew up in Dublin.

I am naturally very skilled at languages and pick them up easily; my father is the same he speaks 6 and when I spoke to him on the rare occasion he visited he didn't sound Scandinavian, more just international.

I speak French at B1 and while I used to be close to B1 in Russian my ability has declined significantly since I stopped practicing. I plan on studying languages in university.

I recently turned 18 and have become much more interested in my heritage; I have been paying attention in Irish class more than I normally would. I have been learning loads of Swedish and Norse history and am beginning to feel a kind of calling to reclaim my heritage.

I have heard that Swedish is a similar difficulty to native English speakers as French, which I find very easy.

So I am considering getting my old job back, taking a year (not just an academic year, like the full 12 months) off school and dedicating it to Swedish. If the language is as simple as French I would be able to reach a high level in that time

I once read in a post on this sub that you should not learn a language because you feel you need to. Does that quote apply to this situation?

submitted by /u/throw36262
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/c62DRG0
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments