Frustrated with progress. Any advice?

I've been learning Russian on and off for the last couple of years. Due to inconsistency, I never achieved past A2.

I recently started to consistently learn the language back in late November. I've been averaging 10 hours a week of self study and 3 hours with tutors every week for the past 13 weeks.

I recently had an exercise with one of my tutors where we both needed to express our thoughts on a certain topic. I had a little trouble fully understanding her at some points and had to ask her to repeat slowly. This isn't abnormal for me. Afterwords, when I had to express my thoughts, I couldn't think of anything to say. I can usually speak impromptu on many topics fine but today I couldn't. This left me a little demoralized like I'm doing something wrong or I'm an imposter.

This got me thinking maybe I'm not studying effectively.

My self-study routine consists of the following:

  • 6 hours reviewing vocabulary on Quizlet/Babbel. I add words I don't understand from tutoring sessions here as well.
  • 2 hours doing homework from tutoring sessions
  • 1 hour reviewing grammar (cases, conjugation, imperfective/perfective, etc.)
  • 1 hour having imaginary conversations in my head (this sounds weird, but it allows me to identify words I don't know through conversation)

I'll also sometimes listen to songs I like or watch children cartoons in my target language when I'm tired of grinding out vocabulary flashcards.

And of course, three one-hour tutoring sessions a week which mostly consists of conversating, listening to audio, grammar exercises, new topics/words, etc. I have two different tutors for this.

Is there something I can do better or any general advice at all? I plan to continue this routine till the end of the year and re-evaluate. My goal is at least to get to B2 which I understand is more than a year away from where I am currently. I think I'm between A2 and B1 now. I just want to study as effectively as possible.

submitted by /u/poppopretn
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/yxcBkh0
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments