Feeling disheartened about Spanish

I've learned Spanish on and off for like 5 years now, within the past month decided to start taking it seriously and I'm making exponential progress. I can read regular Spanish well and I'm beginning to understand it spoken quite well. The thing is that everyone said Spanish would be useful as an American but it isn't. I work at a plant with over 1000 people and probably 20% of them only speak Spanish. Those people tend to just avoid gringos at all costs because 9 out of 10 gringos don't speak Spanish, and I get it. But if I have to talk to them about something work related, I know enough Spanish to do that easily. But usually they just look really surprised and even confused that I spoke Spanish, and then they just reply in extremely broken English even if I tell them they can talk to me in Spanish. The native speakers of Spanish that I know personally will have no problem helping me with a particular word or phrase but they don't often talk to me in Spanish beyond a sentence or two. I'm beginning to think that it'll be once in a blue moon that I actually get to use my target language to help someone in the real world and not for personal enjoyment, but one of the biggest reasons I learned Spanish was because I felt for the struggle of immigrants who don't speak English and I wanted to help them and I wanted them to feel more welcome in America.

submitted by /u/negative_visuals
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/5tzsdg4
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments