Best method for learning to read in a new language?

I'm trying to learn to read in French. I understand the grammar pretty well, but I have very little vocabulary and I find it's making it difficult to advance even when I do the more typical immersion methods. Eventually, I decided to just begin reading and looking up every word I didn't understand and writing them down.

I'm seeing improvement, but it's going slow (faster than when I was trying to pick up the language through listening without understanding, though). Any tips?

I always see people telling me to watch french movies, tv, the news, etc. But my lack of vocab has always meant I never pick any of it up (when I use subtitles, I just read the subtitles). How do people learn vocabulary most effectively?

submitted by /u/ProofArtichoke1
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/yprGMfZ
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments