My boyfriend is accidentally putting me off learning Spanish

My boyfriend's first language is Spanish and some of his family only speak Spanish so he asked me to consider learning it. I was excited at first and have started learning basic vocabulary and simple sentences, I'm not taking it too seriously as I'm also working towards my degree and working full time.

The problem is this, whenever I've tried to tell him what I've learnt he was quite negative and would tell me my pronunciation is bad and pick it apart. I'm English and I wasn't expecting my pronunciation to be good, I know its not perfect but it's really put me off to only have negative feedback - especially from the person who wanted me to learn it in the first place. It also feels like he's expecting my pronunciation to be perfect which I think is unrealistic for a language I've only started learning in the past month.

I've continued learning it anyway but now refuse to speak Spanish with him as every time I've done it before it's just ended up making me feel deflated, sad and embarrassed. He's noticed and it seems to upset him that I refuse to say anything in Spanish to him, which is making me feel guilty.

The whole thing is causing me a lot of anxiety and I was wondering if anyone has had any similar experiences with their partner and if they got through it or just stopped learning? I'm finding it hard to be honest with him about how I feel because I'm embarrassed.

submitted by /u/ok_pepsi
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://www.reddit.com/r/languagelearning/comments/10le7nd/my_boyfriend_is_accidentally_putting_me_off/
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments