Where do you keep your notes/translations when reading physical books?

TL;DR About to attempt my first novel for native speakers in my TL. It's a printed paperback book (yes, it's available as an ebook, but I want to read the physical copy). I know there's going to be a lot of vocab I need to look up as I go. I could translate unknown words in the book margins, keep a separate notebook of translations/unknown words, or go straight to Anki and mine sentences. What do you do? What do you find realistic, and helpful?

More Background I've been reading graded readers in my TL for a couple of months. I've just looked up words on DeepL as I go. I put some in Anki but ended up not reviewing them. I just haven't made Anki part of my routine.

I'm reading books graded at A2/B1 and while I still look up words here and there it's not a very intensive experience. The stories are annoyingly simple so I want to jump into a real book. I know I can look for more B1 or maybe even B2 content but I just really want to try a novel.

I expect this to be a more intensive reading experience, at least at first. But I don't want to look up every last word or kill the joy of reading by spending half the time taking notes either.

The graded readers I've read were mostly digital, so copy/pasting words into a translator when I was already at my computer was easy. The physical graded reader of short stories I read had a bunch of vocabulary defined at the end of each chapter. But now I wonder how other ppl deal with unknown vocab when reading a paperback novel.

I already know I will look up words if I can't figure out the meaning from context, or if I can't follow what's happening without that vocab. So what am I going to do with that vocab once I look it up? Write it in a notebook? Take notes in margins? SRS or Bust? What works for you?

submitted by /u/daringmigration
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/7ReA5wu
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments