Trying to teach my kids my target language.

I'm a non-native Portuguese speaker and have been speaking to my kids in almost 100% PT/PT since they were born. My Portuguese and accent aren't too bad. My wife is also a non-native Portuguese speaker too who normally speaks to them in English.

My children understand everything I say and I can explain unknown things to them in Portuguese which they digest. They usually speak to me in English (we live in England) but I always respond in Portuguese, and so it goes. Kids are 7, 4 and 1 years old.

Does anyone else have a similar situation, and did your kids end up using the target language more as they got older?

submitted by /u/LangLerner
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/uOGgo1r
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments