Subtitles or no subtitles?

Multiple polyglots have said one of their best strategies has been to watch media with subtitles in their native languages, but I’ve always found it to be ineffective for me because subtitles make me tune out the target language in favor of reading my native language. Think of it this way: how many anime fans watch it in Japanese with subtitles but don’t speak any semblance of fluent Japanese at all?

Have subtitles in your native language helped or hampered you more?

(Note that I’m referring only to subtitles in the native language, not in the target language. I’m all in favor of those unless they’re hindering listening skills.)

submitted by /u/ZhangtheGreat
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/dk1CNiJ
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments