How much vocab do I need to translate to ensure understanding?

Hey all,

I'm planning on gifting my partner a book (collection of short stories) for Christmas in the language he's currently learning. He's A2 I would guess and this book is a little over that. So I am trying to make some annotations and translate the main vocab.

I find it hard to say how much vocab I really need to translate. I don't want to go overboard but also don't want it to be frustrating.

For example, the first story is only a few pages long. It is about a new neighbor who comes in and asks for some utensils and ingredients to cook. Suddenly, I end up with a long list of those specific items e.g. saltshaker, pan, whisk etc.

I kind of want to leave them in since I figured that would be useful vocab. At the same time, it seems I'm nearly translating all the text and don't wanna be patronising.

This is just one example. I'm trying to figure out an approach now so I can stay consistent throughout and would appreciate some advice

submitted by /u/Xierrax
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/BvweYV8
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments