French or Italian… is Italy accepting?

Hello all, I (17 American) am attending university in England next year, and am about 6 months away from receiving my Italian citizenship by ancestry (~80% probability of being a citizen by summer)

I have taken some French classes and an Italian class, but barely know either. I am planning on starting regular classes because I hope to visit mainland Europe whenever I can during university (and hopefully after- not planning on returning to the US)

By learning the language I’m excited to have the possibility of maybe living in one these countries for at least a bit.

Obviously Italian is the answer, but I have been a little reluctant because I’m gay. I’m worried that even if I learn Italian, I’ll never have the chance of living there because of homophobia, ban on marriage and adoption, whereas in France this seems like much less of an issue, especially given that I prefer small towns and cities. I’m quite straight passing, but I worry that I wouldn’t be able to wander the country with a boyfriend or with a family if I ever have one.

What do you think, does it make more sense to learn the language and orient myself towards Italy or France?

submitted by /u/Redditbookbinder
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/rLPgqpT
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments