Feeling like I've bitten off more than I can chew, help

I'm really upset and frustrated and need help. I'm working on four languages at uni:

- German (B1) which is a great course, I find it fun, have gotten really far, consume a lot of media, etc; at this point it has practically become my second language

- French (A1), again, great course, I've always wanted to get back into French

- Italian (A2) great course, fun language, lovely prof, and I progress 2 levels each year since batches run May-Oct and Nov-Apr (so by Oct 2024 I'll have reached C1 if they continue offering courses!)

- Russian (A2ish) my longstanding love, but unfortunately the course is говно.

Еven at the A1/beginner level, it was a total disaster. We have no course books, and the teacher, although a brilliant dude with an MA in Russian, literally only reads exercises from an old book full of grammar from the 90s or something. We don't even work on listening, what a joke. Studying had been hell and the only reason I did well was because of the nice teachers on YouTube! Despite all that I was #1 in class for the oral exam and #4 in writing. The teacher thinks I'm smart and the head of the department likes me as well. I've participated in their events and even received two certificates for like, reading poetry and stuff lol. My history with Russian is longer than with any other language lol. I started like 8 years ago with Pimsleur and by motivation alone I finished 2.5 levels of Pimsleur Russian. This is something I've never managed for any other language (by self studying, I mean).

The problem is I feel like I've bitten off more than I can chew. I cannot seem to find enough time to devote to all four. I am thinking of dropping Russian and not paying for and taking the exam in March because:

a) the course is crap, Penguin Russian and Pimsleur Russian were far better

b) the "teacher" is crap tbh

c) I don't want to jeopardise my progress and results in my other language exams (I desperately need to top the class in DE and IT as always (and I better do so for FR), or else my self esteem will be in the trenches lol)

d) I paid basically nothing for this course anyway.

But then I think, oh no, I should persist and do well purely out of spite. At the same time though I'm an adult with responsibilities and I have to work; I actually need to invest more time into working if we're being honest. And with four languages I just simply cannot invest enough time into each one individually.

What should I do? I don't wanna be a quitter but like...it's a lot 🥺 🥺

submitted by /u/Ok-Cake6718
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/24Dqjf3
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments