What kind of flashcards app does/would keep you engaged for a while?

Hi all. I enjoy learning vocab with flashcards, but in the day of smartphones and instant gratification I tend to get bored with the apps I do have and end up scrolling reddit instead. I'd love to learn vocab when I'm bored on my phone, but struggle to find an app that keeps me interested. Does anyone have any recommendations for an engaging app? Or if not, what would this hypothetical app have to be more engaging and fun?

I guess Duolingo is an okay example gamification wise, but it's really bad for actually learning a language, in my opinion. And it doesn't let you upload your own vocab or anything.

Hoping for a discussion on what people think keeps them engaged with vocab and learning it, planning on picking up some tips :) Or what stops people from learning vocab even when they want to. (i know some believe learning vocab is useless, that's not my question here)

A few ideas I had:

  • Using phone's notifications to randomly ask you for vocab, so it's minimal effort on your part.

  • a tinder-like interface, with swiping left or right. But I feel like Anki does this, but it's not very engaging at all, I have to force myself to do it

  • some sort of AI/learning, like the app recommending which words to study or how often or something, so you feel like you're not alone out there

  • tool to help you read books of your choosing

Any thoughts, ideas, and discussions are appreciated, I'm bored and don't want to go back to work lol

submitted by /u/Suspicious-Service
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/5nHd7fU
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments