Recommendations for a language that has a lot of opportunity in the world?

Hi all! I am a college student and am looking to take (maybe even major or minor in) a language next semester as I don't want to continue with Russian unfortunately. After an incredibly hard semester fighting with Russian and trying to make it work, I realized that there's not much opportunity to use the language once I graduate and I don't want to have wasted my time/money on a language if I will not benefit me someway in the future. I still really value learning a language but I want to learn a language that I can use a lot be it in person, accessible in media (tv, films, books, etc) , travel opportunities, at work, etc. My first thought would be Spanish, French, or German perhaps a step down would be Mandarin, Italian, and Portuguese. I've taken Spanish for 7 years in high school and I'm a little burnt out with the language and would perhaps like to try a new language (I've only studied Spanish and Russian formally). My criteria for the language would have to be that resources are widely available and accessible, plenty of media to consume in said language either through books, films, TV, songs, news, opportunity to potentially (safely) travel and use said language, and have a good-high population of those that speak the language.

If anyone's been in my situation or has learned a language for practical reasons, what language did you choose and how frequently do you use it in your day to day life? Do you regret the language you choose or wish you spent more time learning another?

submitted by /u/azorelang
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/d7VP3ng
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments