Pausing to translate while watching or reading

I'm at a point in learning my target language where I know most of the grammar, but my vocabulary is not very wide yet.

To change that, I started reading a book and watching a series that I know in english.

I find myself pausing a lot to look up specific vocabulary, even though that vocabulary is not important for the story, only for the sentence at hand.

Is that the "right" way or should I skip some words and instead progress in the story to make it more enjoyable?

I'm wondering if skipping would teach my brain to ignore words that I don't know, even though I only want to postpone learning them.

If I keep pausing, with time I would probably pause less and less, while the skipping approach would lead me to skip the same word multiple times.

On the other hand skipping would expose myself to much more of my target language, which would lead to learning faster and getting back to the skipped words faster/earlier.

So I'm a little torn here, I could just go with what is more fun for me.

But can anyone share some insights or their experience regarding this?

I would appreciate that very much.

submitted by /u/BlueWhiteCat
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/3EBaGWR
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments