Language problem (ideas, and thoughts)

ESL teacher problem

Hello everyone, I hope this post finds you well and safe.

I have been an esl teacher for 1 year and a half. Everything seems fine to me, but I have a problqem regarding my speaking which my friends noticed while I was speaking to him. The problem is that when someone asks me an unexpected question or a question that I know the answer, I start pausing a lot in places that there shouldn't be any paused. For instance, I can pause after the main verb and think about what I have to say next. This problem blocks my fluency. Sometimes, in the class when I want to talk about sth which I want to explain, my fluency breaks. I look incompetent in front of my students.

I am a second year doctoral student linguistics major, and I still have this problem. To be honest, I feel frustrated.

Note: this problem started when I first learned English years ago. I was just silent, and I didn't iteract with people to develop my fluency. Even in master's I had this problem. I always avoid doing presentations. In my BA, When my friends started speaking English, I stopped talking to them in the Target lge. And I had to take time to think and responde. Some of them eved mocked me by saying (he is in a silent period now).

Is there anything to do concerning this matter?

Thanks a lot. Kind regards.

submitted by /u/diias4
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/amVoPlO
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments