How possible/inadvisable is it to study two different languages at once?

I know that ideally, it's best to devote one's full attention to one language, but is it possible (even if not ideal) to study two languages at once? Are there any specific techniques or mathods of study that would facilitate this? Or will trying to do both at once almosy certainly hinder any meaningful progress in either? What have your experiences been in trying to study 2 (or more) languages at the same time?

Some background for my personal context: I am interested in both Spanish and Slovak and am struggling to commit to one language. I used to be conversationally fluent in Spanish but haven't used it in years. I live in an area with a large Spanish-speaking community which includes my partner's family, and would like to shake the rust off my Spanish in order to communicate better. On the other hand, I and my family are Slovak. I know the basics of Czech, Slovak, and Russian but was not taught the language growing up. I don't live anywhere near a Slovak (or even generally Slavic) community and feel chronically disconnected from culture and community. Learning the language would be an obvious step toward remedying that. I just have a hard time staying committed to one over the other.

Do you think studying two languages in different language families (e.g. Romance and Slavic) would make it easier or more difficult (than say, Spanish and Italian, or Slovak and Russian)?

Do you think that being at different levels in these languages would make it easier (e.g. being intermediate at one already and starting beginner at the other, as opposed to starting two languages from scratch)?

Note: I am NOT asking which language I should "pick" as I know that's not allowed here, so please don't misunderstand me.

submitted by /u/the_halfblood_waste
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/iwjLB83
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments