The proper way of consuming digital content such as shows and movies to help you on your language learning?

This is probably a dumb question or maybe I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed.
I've watched anime nearly daily (w/ Eng. subtitles) for nearly 10 years of my life, and continue to since 6th grade, but I couldn't learn anything other then a very small handful of words.
I understand some people have learned to speak a language somewhat fluently mostly from shows/movies, and some, not as much.
After I started watching videos such as "Japanese Ammo with Misa" I learn heaps amounts of information and am able to speak a fair amount, but I also realize just really how difficult the language is. which could be the reason I couldn't learn anything from the 10ish years of anime I've watched.
I've learned a fair amount of Cantonese watching movies and shows when I was growing up to speak it fairly fluently or at least understand what my parent's Cantonese friends are saying. (I speak Taishanese at home). Personally I believe Cantonese is just as difficult or slightly less.

anyways, I'm mainly curious on where I went wrong, what suggestions or perspectives others go about when they use shows/movies to aid them on their language journeys

submitted by /u/Kitsugi
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/5sKZCd6
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments