critical language scholarship program- should I bother? (Russian maybe? )

Long story short, I went to undergrad and graduated on time but worked 3 jobs so never had to chance to study abroad (I couldn't risk not having a job when I came back, even if I saved etc). Now I'm 35 and in grad school for international relations and I'll finish June 2023.

(Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm on quarters and wouldn't be done until the end of June so maybe if I got accepted, I'd have to not do Spring classes and end up finishing in the Fall)

Anyway, I'm finally in a place where my husband's income could cover the bills if I were to go away for a couple months and come back and job search. I also hope that the experience would help me find a job.

The language I'm interested in is Russian which requires one year of study. I don't have any formal study, but I've used apps and YouTube videos and even sometimes meet with a tutor (always the same woman) from Ukraine on italki.com . I'm familiar with genders, all the cases (even though I don't use them correctly all the time), adjectives in one or 2 cases, past, present, and future tense. I would say I'm A1 moving to A2. I really just need to get more vocab words.

I don't know if this answer will be sufficient to them to select Russian as a choice? I've obviously made an effort. I thought about picking Portugese or Indonesian or Bangla or Persian because they don't require former study and I'm interested in them for various reasons but I don't have anything on paper to show I'm particularly interested in this regions. (I tutored an Afghan refugee woman in ESL and her native language was Farsi, so I consider that a small connection to Persian. I have a small connection (long story) /research on the Rohingya which is my interest in Bangla).

Is it worth it to select Russian as a choice? Or would I be better off selecting Bangla?

Beyond that, am I too old?

submitted by /u/gymnasflipz
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/TGOkjb4
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments