When to stop “intensive” reading?

At what point would you suggest a learner forego intensive reading and transition to extensive reading exclusively? For some time I’ve been reading two books at all times; one intensively via LingQ, and one extensively, via Kindle. To date I have read close to 6 million words, and read 50 novels, ranging from the Harry Potter series, to current German best-sellers (Fitzek, Link, Gruber, etc). On LingQ I “know” (understand in context) 56k words. Caveat: Plurals, conjugations, declensions, etc all count as words. So I’d wager I’m really closer to 10k in more traditional counting schemes. I’m beginning to feel like I’m reaching a point of diminishing returns with my LingQ intensive reading. With my account renewal date approaching, I’m seriously considering tossing the training wheels. Of course I still have the ability to look things up on Kindle, it is more a matter of where the emphasis lies. So the question is to others who may have been in a similar position: At what point did you jump from intensive + extensive to only extensive?

submitted by /u/PRHarker
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/9CyknrQ
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments