When learning a new language, at what point to students start speaking?

I'll use myself as an example. I grew up with the language, and spoke a little as a young child, so my pronunciation is essentially native or so I'm told. I can "speak" in the sense that I can pronounce words and phrases. I'm halfway through A2 and can listen to recordings of A1 conversations and simple stories, and I can understand them just fine. I could also read and write these conversations. But! In an unrehearsed situation, when I try to string together more than a couple of words, my brain just stops working. I just haven't assimilated the language enough and it's requiring too much processing to translate, conjugate, and decline in real time. Writing gives me time to process things, but I am curious when people start getting over this hurdle and start to think fast enough to speak?

submitted by /u/ObscurePaprika
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/iumEA17
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments