Struggling to Believe Reading is Better than Flashcards.

I've spent the entirety of my language learning journey using flashcards and have found them helpful but very time consuming. Basically reading a chapter of a book, highlighting all the words I don't know, then making a deck of those words. Later going back and reading. It works for me but takes forever.

Recently I've been looking up "better" ways to amass vocabulary and, essentially, everyone I've watched swears by reading and forgoing flashcards. I've sat down and watched a lot of Steve Kaufman videos on the subject but just can't wrap my mind around how this works out better. The wisdom seems to be read and once you've read the chapter a few times, move on. Obviously he knows what he's talking about but it doesn't seem to be working for me. I'll read a chapter a few times, having looked up the words, until I'm able to recognize the word as though it was a known word. When reading, I mean. However, I cannot recall the word when if attempting to use it in a sentence. Unlike flashcards where I can wake up the next day and remember the majority. But I'm not supposed to worry about that? I don't understand. How does that expand my vocabulary more effectively then definitely learning 50 words a day?

So what am I missing about the process? Your wisdom would be much appreciated.

submitted by /u/StrangeBreakfast
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/flFTuc2
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments