Need advice on how to achieve my goals as a non native english speaker feeling stuck for a while now.

My first language is a romance one. I started studying english (british) until I reached upper intermediate/B2.

Then I moved to the US (where I’ve been for over 5 years) and my english seemed to get worse with time. I read it’s a common thing and people have a risk of becoming lazy once they reach a high conversation level. Is that correct?

When I watch movies/series without subtitles I can miss a lot of vocabulary (by either not understanding what is being said at all or not knowing the word).. but it gets almost instantly ignored in my mind because I can understand what is being said just by sheer context. That drives me insane.

My goals:

To reach a higher level and become as fluent as I can possible be.

I wanted to read old books and plays and understand/know how to pronounce certain words.

I am also conflicted because I really miss studying british english, should I look for a british teacher? Would that be a mistake since I live in the US? (Would that hurt my writing?)

submitted by /u/Reject_bee
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/Q2CjSrN
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments