Native Romance language speakers, how do you separate them in your brain?

Hi! Have been lurking in this sub for as long as I've known Reddit exists but a recent thread inspired me finally ask this long-held question directly. It's pretty much what it says in the title.

I'm a native Brazilian Portuguese speaker and have always had a fair amount of ease with most languages I've studied over the years, even with more distant languages like German, Russian, and Japanese. French also came very naturally to me and my guess is because the phonetics are different enough that my brain can distinguish and switch between it and my native language just fine.

But Italian and especially Spanish (we don't talk about Romanian) are a struggle to me. They're just so similar part of my brain stays in Portuguese mode when studying and that hurts cadence, accent, and general basic pronunciation quite a bit for me. Which is kind of a problem personally because achieving that near-native cadence tends to be my main motivator to deepen my studies.

I noticed that struggle recently as I was preparing for the DELE and DALF at the same time (yes I know it's dumb and thankfully the DELE was cancelled), but I still default to my Brazilian accent in Spanish which for them just sounds like I'm not even kinda trying.

Any advice appreciated!

submitted by /u/ligneouslimb
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/6geJtan
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments