Difficulty measuring progress bellow B2/B1

I'm speaking about languages I dabble in.

I've been learning some German and French for example, (German even in school), and I can understand a bit, but I have almost zero practical skills in these languages, like for speaking or writing.

Perhaps I know more words than typically counts as A1, or A2, it's just that my skills right now are completely passive.

So I'm wondering how to measure progress at these early stages?

Now, here's another interesting thing: back in 2008/2009 when I was first learning Italian on my own, I guess I was never truly A1 or A2. I just learned bunch of things, words, grammar, a lot of input of all sorts, and my understanding started growing step by step, but my practical skills were almost zero.

Then I stopped learning for some time, perhaps a couple of months and then started again... at some point, ALL OF A SUDDEN, my level was strong A2, perhaps even breaking into B1 territory. For example, I found, that suddenly I can understand Italian TV much better than before.

I accumulated lots of knowledge, but it took my brain some time to process it. Once it settled nice in my brain, all of a sudden I was almost B1.

So I kind of skipped proper A1 and A2 levels... It was more like zero, zero, zero, zero... and then B1.

For this reason, I don't yet list the languages I dabble in... As I guess I'm not even a proper A1 in them. But I feel, if I keep being in contact with these languages and learning them I might as well, just wake up one morning, and voila, I'm B1.

Any of you had a similar experience?

submitted by /u/hn-mc
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/wvx9PDq
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments