Which language is more "phonetic" in terms of a 1-to-1 relationship between spelling and pronunciation, German or Russian?

I'm currently learning French and I am toying around with starting another language once I reach C2. One thing that I like a lot about French is that I know, to a great certainty, how a word is pronounced given the spelling. There are exceptions, but the phonetic rules seem to almost always work. If I pursue another language I would want to choose one where the phonetic rules are just are regular (if not even more regular). I wouldn't want to learn a language like, for example, English where there are a lot of irregularities in the pronunciation given the way the word is spelled. I've spent about two years studying French phonetics, and at this point I can pretty much read any text with nearly 100% perfect pronunciation and intonation.

The two languages I am considering are German and Russian. I know literally nothing about either language. Is either language more phonetically regular than the other, in terms of its pronunciation?

submitted by /u/thenewstampede
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/coJQnV6
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments