Trouble with Spanish Dialects

I've been casually studying Spanish for around 20 years, but live in an area of the US with few Spanish speakers (Montana). As a result, I've always struggled to understand it when spoken. A revelation was that I haven't been learning the language as it's most commonly spoken to me, particularly by Mexicans/ Californians. I find that my comprehension and comprehensibility goes up dramatically when speaking to South or some Central American natives, but understand very little when it comes to the most common dialects I encounter. The difference feels staggering, like easily understanding over 80% of someone from Colombia but less than 50% if they're from Mexico (and I mostly miss the important parts of the sentence). How can I learn the slang and grammatical differences without having someone to teach me? It's really affecting my confidence with Spanish knowing I'm a B1-B2 on paper, but get treated like an A2 when I try to use it.

submitted by /u/EccentricNinja
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/5pYmj9K
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments