Keeping languages going?

I‘m currently an A Level student in the UK. I am going on to study Linguistics and Beginner‘s Italian next year at uni. I have my final German exam tomorrow, and French on Friday. After that I plan to spend the summer learning as much Italian as possible.

I‘m not worried about starting Italian from scratch, in fact, I‘m very excited to go through that first stage of language learning again, and want to challenge myself to see how quickly I can pick it up. What I am more worried about is keeping up French and German. I know when I get to uni I should have the opportunity to speak with others to try and keep it up, as long as I commit myself to doing so.

Basically, I am unsure whether I should continue doing my daily French and German vocab on Anki (I haven‘t missed a day this year). It would be nice to give myself a break, albeit I would feel guilty losing my streak and I know it would be painful to start back up again after taking some time off, and I probably wouldn‘t want to if there is a huge backlog. Anyway, I plan to start learning Italian on it anyway, in which case I might not lose my streak, if I start immediately. But whether I should continue French and German everyday, I don‘t know.

Does anyone have any advice?

Also, is continuing with vocab even a good way to keep a language going? What are the better ways?

submitted by /u/boredperson69
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/ADbKxIp
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments