How much time would it take lo learn all the major scripts?

I've been recently learning Japanese and the first thing I had to do was learn the kana (hiragana and katakana), two of Japanese's three alphabets.

After learning them, I realized it was such a cool ability to have. It only took me three days to learn how to read and write them, and although you can't really read anything in Japanese if you don't know any Kanji, it was still a cool thing to learn them because you could write your name in another script. It was also cool because I could read a bunch of random stuff since Americans use the kana whenever they are trying to make something have ""Asian aesthetic"". It has happened to me that I'm in a restaurant or something and I read something like "Karaoke" on the wall or the name of the company who produced the chopsticks, among other things.

This got me thinking about how cool it would be to learn multiple scripts even if you're not really interested in learning the language since you gain the ability to learn more about how other languages work, and become able to read random things in other scripts. My question is, how much time would it actually take, and is it really worth to make that time investment just for the sake of knowledge?

And also, what would be the scripts one would need to learn in order to know the "major" scripts. I was thinking it would probably be Hangul, the Kana, Cyrillic, and the Greek alphabet. Maybe Hebrew, Thai, or other scrips such as the ones Indian and Arabic languages use, but I don't really know a lot about them, so I would say the ones I mentioned before are probably the easiest ones.

Edit: For clarity

submitted by /u/_Mexican_Soda_
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/M9Kmifd
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments