Chinese or French - What is better for a Spanish freshman in Translation and Interpretation?

Hi everyone!

I'm going to the university very soon and I need to choose which languages I'm going to study for my career (Translation and Interpretation). I have to choose a primary language that requires at least a B1 level and a secondary language of which no previous knowledge is required.

My primary language is going to be English, as it is the language I love the most and I already have a very good level on it. But then, as the secondary language, of all the other languages my university offers to me, the ones I like the most are French and Chinese, and I'm hesitant because I don't know which one should I choose.

I'd rather choose Chinese as I love it more than French and it's more fascinating for me. I know all the obstacles that the learning process can put in front of me, and I believe that I'm not going to give up on that language, as I really like how it's learned (I did a little of research) and I just find the language too interesting. The only problem I see is that I believe that it's going to take a while to learn it, as I still don't know more than a few characters and their meanings.

I have a decent level in French as I've got a B1 and it shouldn't take too long to reach proficency if I chose it in my career.

I'm saying all this from the perspective of a Spaniard, remember. The thing is that I still don't know which one of them is more profitable when translating into Spanish. I suspect that it's Chinese, but I'm too naive about all this stuff and I firmly believe that I need some kind of advice from people who could possibly have already learned French and/or Chinese.

Of course, I should always go with the language I like the most, but I believe that I'm still too young and that my tastes are still prone to change. I like both languages and in the future, I'd like to work with both, but I have to choose which one is going to go with me in the next 4 years of university. I know that it's a really personal choice, but I need some objective intel about these languages and some kind of advice from others more experienced than me.

submitted by /u/_TheRedWolf
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/JwokDgs
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments