Anyone finds living languages super boring?

Usually people find living languages interesting because learning these languages open up the possibility to converse with native speakers. But I don't like talking, in fact I actively avoid talking. So living languages don't appeal to me.

Dead languages, on the other hand, seem interesting because 1) few people study them, and even fewer are experts in them. Learning them makes you unique. 2) There's no need to memorise stupid phrases like "hello, how are you doing". There is less meaningless banter and hence is less painful to learn.

I think I might start learning a dead language. (I'm partly inspired by Arguelles' recent AMA where he said he's learnt several dead languages. Been thinking about the topic since.)

Anyone also finds dead languages more appealing than living languages, and for what reason?

submitted by /u/LanguageIdiot
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/MduqpBw
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments