What's the best way to improve understanding of a related language?

I was talking to a friend who is a Spanish (and English) native speaker, and there's a new guy at his work who is Brazilian, and only speaks Portuguese. Their boss is Brazilian, so overall it works fine, but when communicating with my friend my friend just speaks Spanish, and the new guy Portuguese. They can both get the gist of it, though seemingly the new guy can understand the Spanish better than my friend can understand the Portuguese.

Are there any tricks to improve your understanding (quickly, I don't think my friend wants to actually learn Portuguese, just understand a little better)? Just practice listening until your ears adjust? listen audio along with text? study some basic phonetics and grammar?

submitted by /u/stetslustig
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/xsaBLMN
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments