Is this an excessive workload?

I have a 5 year plan for where I want to be, language-wise, and I’m worried it might be an excessive amount of work?

[Tl;dr at the bottom]

So, I’m a native English speaker, these are my plans for the next 5 years:

There are 4 languages that I currently want to have in my life, Irish, French, Danish, Korean. most are already there.

Irish and French : These two, I’ve been learning slowly in school since the ages of 4 and 6 respectively. With Irish, I’m close enough to fluent, and I’m generally just at a point of picking up random new vocab. French, I’m at possibly an A2-B1. I can make pretty basic conversation and navigate my way through some written pieces.

GOAL: For both languages, my goal is not fluency. I love them but they aren’t my driving passion in life. I simply want to maintain my current level, while occasionally making conversation with people at similar levels, and also being able to hop back into the languages occasionally to learn some new stuff. I’d want to regularly use them by reading things at my level that I enjoy, but I don’t intend to work to study and actually improve them for fluency. I just want to enjoy life at my current skill level.

Danish : started VERY CASUALLY learning at age 11. At best I’m somewhere between A1 and A2. This is a passion for me. I’ve been in love with Denmark since I was a kid. I want to study Danish hard and potentially move to Denmark in 5 years? I have some foundations in the language. I’m quite used to the pronunciation now and I love the structure. Once had a predicament in Copenhagen airport and managed to ask my question through Danish (I was so happy in that moment)….let’s ignore the fact that I had to ask for the person to translate their answer to English because i got confused.

GOAL: i want to properly study this and reach an actually decent level. In 5 years time….. I’d be extremely happy with somewhere like a B2-C1(?) the C1 part is the best case scenario here. I want to be at a good enough standard to move over there, get by in shops and in some conversations and continue learning properly with proper classes at a school.

Korean : this one is the outlier on this list. I have zero background in it. I’ve known the alphabet for some time from seeing it so often. I watch 80% of my television through Korean with English subtitles. I am exposed to the language everyday because I consume a lot of media. I’m somewhat used to the sound of it, so that could probably give me a teeny boost with starting to pronounce it. I’m also relatively used to reading pieces of Korean and mentally sounding out the words- usually for finding the name of a person or show I’m looking for in an article (but I don’t understand anything in the article).

GOAL: Of course, Korean would take much more time and effort to Danish as I’m not used to it and it’s much more different to English. My goal for 5 years time is maybe a B1… or a B2 (being very optimistic now?). I really want to reach a good standard because I’m absolutely fascinated by Korean history, food and television. I would be studying it at the same time as Danish, as in, for the full 5 years, not starting it later.

[Note: I know giving the levels as my goal isn’t extremely clear to what I want, but I thought it’d be quicker to understand. I’m not overly focused on the levels and generally don’t care too much. ]

Tl;dr:

-Maintain childhood languages of Irish and French at their current standard and not focus much on improving them… just casually using them for fun.

-Danish: learning since age 11, currently A1-A2, kind of decent pronunciation, want to properly study and focus on. Goal is to move to Denmark in maybe 5 years, and be at a B2-C1 level?

-Korean: no foundation, but I consume Korean television everyday, so used to the vague sound of it + know the alphabet. Goal is B1-B2 in 5 years?

submitted by /u/unlawfuldissolve
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/REmrhWK
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments