How do I get a hold on basic vocabulary?

May be a trite question, but anyways:

After a period of hiatus, I have got back to trying to learn Arabic. I already got the hang of the morphology and sentence structure, and know a few words. As an activity I am trying to keep a journal, but while writing I constantly realize I lack even the most basic words.

I remember that when I learnt Hebrew (back in 2018), I simply completed the Duolingo tree, which forced me to learn the basic vocabulary through repetition; then, having internalized that, I could get easily to an intermediate level just by consuming content and chatting, which at my stage of Arabic isn't really an option.

I clarify that as I may have made clear, I am self-teaching, not following a course, so I have to find my material around. Most of what I did now was through a textbook I bought, which however I left half-completed because I felt it didn't suit me. What surprises me is that whatever I did in 2018, I now seem unable to replicate.

So (advice doesn't have to be Arabic-specific), what are some ways I could get past this beginner phase? What have you used?

submitted by /u/Toadino2
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/HYObprD
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments