Can one learn a language without memorization?

I enjoy learning new things in a way that requires solving problems, having to think analytically, try to understand the subject from its core principles. Thus, I love studying Maths, Programming, Chess, Poker, etc.

However, when learning languages, I often have to learn the vocabulary by simply cramming. I find such process of learning dull and unpleasant. Studying grammar is a little bit more interesting, because I am learning formal rules which help to understand how the language works. But even then I often have to memorize the rules rather than somehow discover them by solving a problem.

Thus, I am wondering, maybe I'm missing some effective way to learn a language? Is there a method that avoids direct memorization, and, thus, would make the process of learning the language much more pleasant for me?

submitted by /u/lindia16
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/K86Uu4S
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments