Spanish progress stalled a couple of months into moving to Spain, how can I be a more active learner?

Hey, I'm in Spain on exchange and have been learning Spanish for 2.5 years. My level is between B1 and B2, and since moving here, I've made a lot of progress in losing the shyness of talking. My Spanish is typical of bar/club learners.. as in I'm not scared of talking, can understand quite a lot, and can generally get across what I'm trying to say, but I make a ton of mistakes and am missing a lot of vocabulary.

I'm generally not a fan of vocab/grammar drills, as I've noticed that they tend to cause beginners to use structures and words beyond their level, sound unnatural, and miss the nuances of more advanced words. However, I feel like just relying on passive learning is not a good idea anymore because:

  1. I'm starting to repeat and internalize incorrect made up structures that I made up to "get by" in social situations

  2. I'm starting to acquire a french accent from my french flatmate, which I'd really like to avoid

So what I'm looking for is a way to add more active learning/studying into my day while still allowing me to move closer to sounding natural.

The closest thing I know is Assimil, however at my level, I've been finding Assimil quite boring, despite learning new words every lesson. If anyone has tips for making Assimil more enjoyable for intermediate learners, I'd also really appreciate that.

submitted by /u/tinclan
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/VHgQtBd
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments