I am fluent in English but I would like to improve my English to the same level as an native speaker.

I am from South Africa (native language is Afrikaans) and am facing a unique challenge with regards to improving my English. Most South Africans speak a reasonable level of English because we have 11 official languages and we use English to understand each other. However, since most people speak it as a second language, we are constantly exposed to English being spoken incorrectly. Even when spoken by native English South Africans, I have discovered (during my stay in the UK) that South African English has been influenced by Afrikaans and as a result, we are sometimes misunderstood, or we say things that would be considered incorrect in all other English speaking countries.

I would like to take my English to the next level but simply speaking more English in my country will not do the trick. How do I go about this? Do I start studying for English exams, right from beginner level step by step, or do I get private online teacher? I just don't know if a teacher would have a systematic approach to help someone like me efficiently. I would also like to increase my vocabulary but don't want to learn words that even a native speaker wont understand.

submitted by /u/DifferentPin1481
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/5cBu6Z1
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments