Giving up trying to learn a childhood language?

I’m a refugee that move to an English-speaking country as a child to escape a Civil War. Not many people in my country speak my language so other than at home with family I never used it.

Some decades later I’ve all but lost the ability to speak it but I understand it a bit (though slang is totally understandable, but newscasters I can understand maybe half. I’ve tried to learn it, talking with people online or studying it but I just can’t grasp it. I stop learning it or speaking it before middle school so now as an adult it feels while I have some experience with the language it’s just too difficult.

Anyone just give up on their mother tongue because they’re so far removed from the culture and country?

For reference: the languages are French and specific dialect Arabic (modern Arabic I don’t even understand a word), the two languages of my country

submitted by /u/Arch_moraluniverse
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/dw5c8Bg
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments