Anyone working as a multilingual interpreter? Looking to navigate that career path but I am a bit curious about how to get started despite my major

I’m currently a Deaf Studies major concentrating on ASL interpreting (currently in ASL IV) and I was semi-forced to minor in another language by my university. After long and careful thought I settled on Japanese as a secondary focus since it has the best and most thorough course loads here on campus. Furthermore, I've managed to wiggle in room for a good few elective courses, which consist of Farsi. As of this Spring, I've begun learning three languages at once - something extremely challenging that I've not only fallen in love with, but for once I feel very driven. I happened to grow up bilingual too (bless my parents for only speaking Spanish, which I am now completely fluent in) so I figured it'd only be natural for me to pursue even more ways to speak to people.

I did research on my city this past year and looked at several statistics and demographics. These languages remain in the top percentile (not counting ASL), and given I've been practicing with Persian people very often I'm betting on becoming very competent in the far future if everything goes well. The downside is I can only study it up to the intermediate level here on campus, so I'm definitely gonna have to take advantage of the many cultural centers working with the UC in my county (UCLA to be exact) that aid in bridging students towards their Masters and PhDs in Language and Cultural Studies. I'm feeling very confident and am excited to see where I'll be at in the next three years as my signing has improved a lot compared to the beginning of the pandemic, and Farsi is sticking very well. Japanese is a pretty tough cookie to swallow but I have my own passion for it. I guess this is where I ask - has anyone else pursued multiple in hopes of reaching a polyglot level? Furthermore, my major is its' own path - but I do see it as a gateway to interpreting as a whole. How could I incorporate this into my ASL practice if these languages can be deemed irrelevant? Am I better off leaving ASL Interpreting as a whole and just becoming a standard multilingual one with the state or whatever entity? Lastly, I of course do want to earn more. With time and experience comes the compensation of your worth but my current situation is exhausting and I'm being very patient with my degree (got another three years to go).

However, I do want to point out that learning a language is more than just wanting to tell someone you wanna f#$% them in French. You become an ally (especially in my case, I went in totally ignorant about who Deaf people are or what they experience - I literally thought American Sign Language was universal) when you learn about the brutal mistreatment going on either on your same soil or abroad everyday.

submitted by /u/Riskology
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/rIOWuaq
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments