Native English speaker, starting to question if learning another language is even “worth it” - hear me out!

Long time reader of this valuable sub! I’ve been interested in language learning as long as I can remember and have always been fascinated by hearing or learning other languages. I did French at school and reached A2 level, and am currently around A1/A2 level Spanish after learning for a year or so. My main concern however is that whenever I have been abroad, travelling, ‘holidaying’, or for work, in a variety of locations I have always survived perfectly fine with only English. This has obviously started to make me question and wonder whether or not I am wasting my time learning another language that will ultimately be far less useful to me. I do enjoying learning and love the thought of being able to communicate fluently in other languages, but without a formative goal I have found my motivation to continue getting lower and lower. Additionally, with being in the UK foreign languages are poorly taught and generally not practiced outside of formal education. With a lack of external media in my daily life, and little opportunity to practice speaking this makes the process more difficult. I’ve considered reattacking this problem by switching to a new language of interest but worry that I’m just compounding the problem.

Thoughts on this? Anyone on have any advice or feedback from a similar situation they found themselves in? And how they did (or didn’t!) get around it?

submitted by /u/Rubberzebra0
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/DivpO9S
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments