ADHD meds and language learning

Those of you with ADHD, how have ADHD meds affected your language learning? I'm going to the doctor soon to get tested for ADHD, as for my whole life I've been plagued by issues that to me seem like ADD (inattentive ADHD). It feels really shameful having had to deal with all these issues that I can't really control or help as much as I want to and people just label it as laziness... Anyways because of this stuff that I think is ADD I've always been unable to commit to work, to have motivation and dedication to anything, even my biggest hobbies because it just mentally drains me. When I want to learn something or do work, I just end up quitting or not putting myself to it enough because I just feel like I can't. Plus I've never actually been creative about how to do things, I always feel like I can't do anything without clear directions.

I'm wondering how exactly ADHD meds have affected the people of this sub in that regard? Any before and after of language learning with ADHD? Are the pills really as "magical" as they seem at increasing your ability to commit to work? How about any negatives, do the pills hinder you in any way?

I hear about side effects with certain ADHD pills like having the opposite of an appetite, feeling like garbage all the time, amplifying mental disorders, and for certain ones even long-term effects on the heart and liver and destroying motivation completely when off the pill. But honestly aside from the alleged long-term effects (destroying your organs) I feel like, for me, all that suffering would be completely worth it as long as I could actually take control of my life. For all of my life, throughout the entirety of schooling, I've only been able to feel helpless while I've wasted all my potential. My teachers always told me I was one of the smartest kids they've known and I shouldn't be doing as bad as I do, and it made me feel awful. Honestly it would feel so rewarding just being able to learn a language enough to have a normal conversation and to understand what people say when they're speaking, I've been trying to learn French for years and I can hardly write a good sentence, I can't remember a lot of basic words and concepts that most people would get. Spanish is easier on me but I have the same problems. I was hoping ADHD meds would solve that.

submitted by /u/DeviantLuna
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/2DqX7g0
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments