A language being too popular is a demotivating factor. Do you agree?

In my case, I just can't seem to bring myself to learn Japanese, which is a hugely popular language. Let's say I become C2. But so what? There are millions of others who have reached the same level in Japanese. I am nothing special. It really sucks to think that, after spending at least two decades and finally reaching C2, I will just be another guy who speaks English and Japanese. And by then my level of Japanese will likely still be lower than a lot of others, who are more talented or able to immerse all day.

This feeling will suck so much, it makes me not want to learn Japanese, or any popular languages where there are so many successful learners with whom I can never compete.

Do you share this feeling?

submitted by /u/LanguageIdiot
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/lXa1o8q
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments