I made a free software application for Windows to help with typing foreign characters

You can download from releases at https://github.com/mbsmith93/ChordKeys. I found other existing methods for foreign latin-based character input underwhelming, and decided to make my own (though if you want to know your other options there's a list in the readme at the link above). If you press two characters at the same time (defined as within 30ms of each other), the keystrokes will be intercepted and replaced with an appropriate foreign character.

I've done my best to cover common use cases, so this software includes what I believe are the complete character sets for German, French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Norwegian, Danish, and Swedish. If there are characters missing, or other languages you want supported, let me know and I will look into it.

Remember that this is free software, and may be lacking in advanced features. In particular, the keybindings I chose were made for a US-QWERTY keyboard layout and may seem strange in other layouts. Furthermore many common foreign characters are not available. Also 30ms may not be the appropriate time interval for keys to be considered a chord for all users and a user-specific setting may need to be added.

Feel free to suggest changes and improvements - or even better, to contribute.

submitted by /u/mbsmith93
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/3fLUwpX
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments