As a second language French speaker, combining with which other Romance language would allow me the biggest passive understanding of the others?

Hey!

I speak French as a second language - I'm not perfect, but working on getting better all the time. I like keeping up with European politics somewhat, and being able to read the news in French is a lot of fun for me!

I'm considering taking up another of the big Western European Romance languages in the future - sorry, Romanian! - and it got me thinking about which one is a good choice? I like and am interested in Portuguese, Spanish and Italian cultures equally or at the very least in a similar amount, so following my heart is a bad advice in this case:) and considering my news-reading hobby, the idea is learning the one which when combined with French gives me the biggest passive understanding of mostly written texts in the other two.

The problem is I don't know which one that is! What I'm thinking with my very limited knowledge is either Portuguese+French would mean the two most distinct feeling of the quartet and help me with the easier two, OR French+Spanish because Spanish feels more similar to Portuguese and Italian than those are to each other. But I don't actually know. Any advice?

And yeah, I understand that the Romance languages aren't actually very mutually intelligible and that I won't be reading novels in the languages I don't actually speak, but it's my understanding that passive understanding of non-artistic texts can be somewhat high once you get used to it?

submitted by /u/paul_is_not_dead
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/3GWmRpr
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments