Why can I roll my r's while singing but not at all while speaking?

Why is rolling an r so hard? We don't use a whole lot of rolling in our dialect of Portuguese, but my entire family can do it except for me and it's really weird.

I've been learning Spanish and I noticed that I can't roll my r's at all. I tried so many different exercises and none of them worked, but a couple of days ago, I was singing in Spanish and I rolled the r with much more ease.

I thought that maybe I'd gotten the hang of it, but when I tried to speak, it wouldn't come out (all I can say consistently is 'Ramón' for whatever reason).

Does anyone have any idea why? I can sorta roll 'ra' and 'ri', but none of the other vowels ('ro' is the hardest, I think)

Note: if it makes a difference, I was singing Amigo by Roberto Carlos

submitted by /u/honjapiano
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/3pDGDju
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments