Is anyone else's TL vocabulary really lopsided?

With German, the only kind of reading that is both interesting and easy enough for me to read is news articles, usually ones on Tagesschau. But because of this, I've picked up a decent vocabulary when it comes to topics like COVID-19, the Russia-Ukraine situation, Afghanistan, etc. and other things that have been big news over the past few months, while my vocabulary elsewhere is very weak. I lulled myself into a false sense of proficiency by reading so many similar articles, but then when I tried reading stuff about topics I'd never looked at before, suddenly I understood nothing. Now I'll have to broaden my reading material, I guess.

Anyone else have anything similar happen to them?

submitted by /u/dgdfgdfhdfhdfv
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/3mKrDhA
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments