Do you ever struggle with focusing on one language?

So, for context, I’m a beginner language learner. Arabic (specifically MSA) has been my focus for a few months, and I’ve logged a few hundred hours.

The issue is that, as everyone here is aware, Cat V languages take a lot of work. While I have days where I realise I’m picking up grammar / vocab / patterns etc, there are many more where I realise my ability to reproduce some of the sounds is limited, lots of words take a lot of repetitions to stick and it feels like a slog.

Enter the “but what if I learned…” moments.

Arabic isn’t unique in this, but it is quite different from a lot of languages due to the need to learn both the standardised MSA form (for reading, news, most written text) and a dialect (to speak to natives in a natural way and to actually consume media like TV and podcasts). While I’m trying to lay the foundations of MSA first, I’m already considering pausing it, or at least putting the focus onto a dialect for a while.

I’m also sat here wondering if my interest is enough to put in the hours to actually reach fluency. Especially because I’m eyeing up Spanish, enviously looking at all the comprehensible input resources. I do travel there regularly enough and have some interest in learning Spanish, but it’s never been strong enough to get up and try and learn the language.

Now I’ve embedded language learning as a routine though, I’m wondering if I should give some of the LanguageTransfer / DreamingSpanish kind of resources a go. Mostly, tbh, to realise that a Cat 1 language still has its challenges and needs a lot of time put in. I’m hoping that will either make me realise I won’t just pick it up easily and focus on Arabic, or help me decide to just keep the focus on Spanish.

Anyone else deal with these kinds of wanting to learn multiple languages while still a beginner in them thoughts?

submitted by /u/BuffettsBrokeBro
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/3sJL66a
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments