Why do people recommend listening for pronunciation? What's missing?

Just listening doesn't work.

Why am I saying this? Well... I'm not a native English speaker. When I got to fluency in English, I wanted to achieve an RP accent (Standard British English). I think I did a somewhat good job (even though I'm still working on it).

However, I spend most of my time listening to Americans. Either on films, tv, youtube, etc. The GA accent is just more common.

Do I sound American then? No! I never wanted to sound American so the accent never "got transferred" to me. And I actually can't reproduce it at all (I've always been bad at imitating accents from other dialects).

In my mother tongue (Portuguese - I'm from Portugal), I also used to watch a lot of Brazilian shows but I never got a Brazillian accent.

So, there's clearly another piece to this puzzle. If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them! I need to find that last piece.

submitted by /u/HitoRik
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/3EwVOzC
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments